DAAD In-Country/In-Region Masters Scholarships at University of the Western Cape in South Africa, 2019
The Institute for Land, Poverty and Agrarian Studies, University of the Western Cape is inviting applications for In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme“ Strengthening Advisory Capacities for Land Governance in Africa.
Its overall objective is to promote good land governance by strengthening human and institutional capacities for the implementation of sustainable and development-oriented land policy in Africa.
PLAAS does research, policy engagement, teaching and training about the dynamics of chronic poverty and structural inequality in Southern Africa, with a particular emphasis on the key role of restructuring and contesting land holding and agro-food systems in the subcontinent and beyond. Our mission emphasises the central importance of the agro-food system in creating and perpetuating poverty — and also in eradicating it.
- Applications Deadline: December 14th, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarships are available to pursue Master degree programme.
- Study Subject: The In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme supports studies in subject areas with strong relevance to land governance. The scholarships at PLAAS are available for the following Master courses: Poverty, Land and Agrarian Studies.
- Scholarship Award: The scholarship covers:
|Tuition fees||annually||The regularly charged amount|
|Study and research allowance||annually||460 EUR|
|Printing allowance||once at the end||400 EUR|
|Monthly Scholarship (Accommodation, Food etc.)||monthly||In-Country: 400 EUR
In-Region: 450 EUR
|Travel allowance (In-Region only)||twice (beginning/ end of scholarship)||The flat rate travel allowance will be specified in the letter of award.|
|Insurance||upon request||Standard tariff; if applicable an equivalent of 69 EUR per month, refund upon request and presentation of an original receipt of payment.|
- Nationality: Applicants must be nationals or permanent resident of an African country.
- Number of Scholarships: It has been agreed upon that DAAD cooperates with PLAAS by offering up to 3 scholarships for Master studies at PLAAS for the intake 2019.
- Scholarship can be taken in their home country (so called InCountry scholarships) or in another African country (In-Region scholarships).
Eligibility for the Scholarship
Eligible Countries: Applicants must be nationals or permanent resident of an African country.
Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Ivory Coast, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of the Congo, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Entrance Requirements: Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree with above average results (upper forth of class) clearly show motivation and strong commitment.
- Have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction.
- Have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application.
- Must be nationals or permanent resident of an African country.
- Should generally be a) staff member of a public university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector.
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Scholarships are initially granted for one year and can be extended to upon receipt of an application for extension. Scholars must demonstrate satisfactory progress before an extension is granted. All further information will be provided after admission to the scholarship programme.
How to Apply: The application process contains two steps. Please be aware of the two application deadlines.
Applicants must apply for their studies at PLAAS using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution. PLAAS has set its own deadlines.
PLAAS will screen, pre-select (according to DAAD selection criteria) and short-list the applicants. A detailed report consisting of the short listing procedure, the entire list of applicants, the ranked shortlist and the shortlisting panel members will also be availed to DAAD. The ranked shortlist will contain preferably triple (at least double) the number of scholarships that have been attributed to the institution.
DAAD reserves the right of final selection.
PLAAS will provide the shortlisted candidates with the link to the DAAD-Portal. Only the pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal, register themselves and submit an DAAD application. DAAD Deadline: 14/12/2018.
Documents to be submitted:
- DAAD application form duly filled in (available in the DAAD-Portal)
- Hand signed curriculum vitae (please use the European specimen form at http://europass.cedefop. Europa.eu), including a list of publications (if applicable).
- Recommendation letter by university teachers (Master: 1)
- Letter of admission for the host university / institution / network
- Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
- Letter of motivation
- Copy of the passport